Thursday, February 11, 2010

Show circuit application time...eww...

Here goes the show circuit application process cycle again... whew - what a mouthful! I've already sent out quite a few apps and have another round coming up.

This year I'm trying something new. I'm applying for more exhibits and fewer out of state shows. The economy's been a little wonky, some large Ohio businesses are still making fresh cuts and laying off employees, and I just don't have a good feeling that things are solid enough yet. I'll bet the rest of the US is experiencing similar issues, too.

Since I'm still young in this medium, my resume is a bit thin, and getting into some exhibits across the country would be good exposure without the cost of travel. I'm also beginning to work with more galleries to create a steadier cash flow. We'll see how it goes!

In the mean time, I've been resting on my laurels a tad. Two weeks ago I participated in a studio clearance sale produced by Ohio Designer Craftsmen, of which I'm a member. I very nearly sold out everything in my booth and was able to pack up in record time since there was so little to pack! A HUGE thank you to all I saw at the show, especially to those new to collecting my work! I have never seen a crowd more ready to buy great art and fine craft at such good prices. Too bad it'll take me another few years to build up excess stock before I can do that show again!

The new photo above is a baby spoon I worked in sterling. It's about 4.5 inches long, and is entirely chased and repoussed by hand. The flowers are a little cascade of forget-me-nots that create a wide textured area for sweet baby hands to grab. Sterling's also a joy for teething tots since the metal stays nice and cool on the gums.

No comments: