Saturday, September 13, 2008

the upward climb


Well, I've done a few shows and worked my hiney off for the last month, so it's been awhile since I've posted. I've had mixed reviews about the shows this year. It takes time to learn what works and who appreciates my pieces, but I'm steadily getting an education in both! I've learned not to do art/craft shows that have the name of food or drink in their title, and any focus other than art almost always falls short of success.

This coming year I've committed to apply only to the better shows, and won't give in to emotions or nostalgia for the shows I'm leaving behind - even if there's a hole in my schedule that is begging for me to jump back into them. There. It's in print and I can't go back on it (my husband says he'll hold my feet to fire on this one anyway!).

Applying only to better shows is a bit intimidating for me - but that's where personal growth comes from, right? This means I need to be more organized and focused on doing what it takes to get into these shows. Much of my free time this summer (what is free time, really?) has gone to building a better booth, complete with custom made display tables, tent zippered sides, additional display forms like neck pieces and earring holders, coordinating fabric, and soon nice backdrop curtains. Next on the list will be professional cases and lighting, I think. All of this will give me a better public image and photo for the juries who choose which artists get in and which don't.

So much money and time goes into this, but I believe it will pay off. I've done amazingly well over the last two years and should be very proud of what I've done. I just got my first gallery check (it's official!), people are starting to recognize my name and work, and I'm developing a following of jewelry lovers who really appreciate what I do. Even with this, I'm still amazed when some one gasps over my work and wants to know how a real live person could actually make something so beautiful! That's the best part.

Since my last post I've also taken the plunge to get professional photos. This is another step in helping me compete for a place in the better shows. Since I've paid a lot of money for them, I figured I would share them with you and ask your thoughts on them! Feel free to write me here or email me personally...

~Jeni

No comments: