Friday, March 7, 2008

Inspirational

I love it when life bursts in on you (in a good way!) and draws you into some one else's life.  One of my joys in doing custom work is getting the story behind the piece.  It helps me to connect with my client, it gives my intuition and creativity a boost, and there's somehow extra soul in the piece when I'm finished.  Sometimes it's just the everyday "I need a necklace because I have nothing to go with my favorite earrings", or "I've always wanted something in turquoise!".  Every once in a while I hear a gem of a story that really touches my heart like the one last weekend.  

I got a call from a newer collector who breathlessly rushed into a story about her partner in a weight loss program.  They work out several times a week, go to weekly meetings, and even talk on the phone for encouragement and accountability.  Her partner has struggled with diabetes, several different other medical conditions that make weight loss more difficult, and was just recently diagnosed with one more very serious condition in which her pancreas is shutting down.  Her doctor immediately put her on yet another medication (she's only in her early 40's!) to help slow down the process, but it has horrible side effects - one is weight gain.  Imagine being nearly triple your ideal body weight, working your butt off for months to lose it, eating only 1,000 calories a day, and then finding out that your body is fighting so hard against you that you're actually gaining weight. 

Does she complain?  No.  Instead, she still works out with my client, encourages everyone in the group to keep their heads in the game, and never says a negative thing about it.  This month the group is going to honor the top "loser" by giving a gift, and my client wanted to do the same for her partner for her amazing character and winning attitude.  She won't be the top loser, in fact she's already gained back every pound she lost during the program, but she's not giving up! 

I'm finishing up the necklace that is to be the gift; it's a sterling and 18k gold star pendant on a sterling chain.  I feel so privileged to be able to work on this project and haven't stopped thinking of the strength of this woman the entire time I was cutting and filing.  She's an inspiration to everyone.  

~Jeni


No comments: