Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Blood, sweat, and happy tears!


The letter opener is finally done, and here are the results.  The picture doesn't capture the detail the way I'd like, but you can still see quite a lot.  I ended up adding in a sterling back plate for strength and stability, and then oxidized it to
 create a dramatic back drop.  I love how it turned out!!

I have just had a wonderful week since I last posted!  Good news seems to come in bunches, and despite getting another rejection letter, I was pleasantly surprised to get an acceptance letter to a holiday show in Pittsburgh.  On the heels of that I've been invited to show at an exhibition near Toledo that runs next month.  It's small, but nice. :)  ...And a trunk show I had this weekend did terrific and added to my list of folks who want show updates to see new pieces.  

It's been good to be this busy with orders and creating new work - I'm going to really have to step it up so that I have enough to display at my next art show (and then the gallery meeting).  That's why it's been so long since my last post.  I've been working full speed ahead and balancing my home life; going to bed exhausted only to start again in the morning.  But I'm so happy!

During my long hours this last week I also managed to run the drill through my finger not once, but twice.  The second time it happened, the thin bit broke off and stuck out near the nail - hope you're not squeamish!  I've never done anything quite like this before.  I think it's important to expand horizons and try new things (snicker, snicker!).  No stitches, thank goodness, but I'm wondering should I charge a little extra for the actual shedding of blood during the creative process?

~Jeni

No comments: