Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Good and bad...

This year I've committed to submitting to better shows, more calls for artists, and contests.  As an emerging artist I still haven't settled on a single look; I'd rather explore different techniques and materials.  That doesn't always work well when applying to the higher level fine art/craft shows.  I've heard they prefer a strong, cohesive body which may not come through in my photos.  For me that's translated into waitlists and rejections that I was not prepared for.  Yes, the jewelry category spot is one of the most fiercely fought for, but that doesn't make me feel any less sore!  My work is well-liked locally, and I've done great at the shows I've attended in the past.  It gives pause for me to reflect...

On a happier note, one of the boutiques I wholesale with just purchased a huge order yesterday.  I feel a bit redeemed!  They've consistently sold my work with a steady increase in sales - they've more than doubled since this time last year, even in the light of the current economy.  So how does it work?  I do well in retail but struggle to get past jurors and into the better shows.  Is it I'm out of step with the cutting edge trends or need a more cohesive look? Is it just not my year for shows, or will there be acceptance letters for the remainder still out there?

~Jeni

No comments: